06 February 2008

Wagner Valley Oatmeal Stout (NY)

I kinda liked the India Pale Ale from this Lodi, NY winery/brewery, so I figured I'd give the Oatmeal Stout a try. The brewer calls this a "classically brewed British style oatmeal stout," which brings to mind Samuel Smith's, but it turns out not to be like that at all.

Wagner's pours all but black with an overflowing beige head. It turns out that this is a very fizzy stout. It smells sweeter than it tastes. On the tongue, the expected roasted coffee/chocolate aspect is pushed to the point of being burnt. It's dry and moderately bitter, but I'm not sure if that's the hops or the dark roast. I don't mind this at all; it's interesting. But the thin, fizzy body doesn't cut it. If it only had SS's creaminess.

For those who can't find Wagner beers in stores, you can order from them directly online in most states. Shipping charges are pretty high, so I wouldn't recommend it for this beer, which is merely okay.

No comments: