27 March 2008

Mac Queen's Nessie (AUT)

This isn't really Scottish; it's from Schloss Eggenburg brewery in Austria (best known for Samichlaus). It isn't even red, despite it's claim to be an "original red ale." Gebraut Aus Whiskymalz: brewed from whiskey malts. Beer Advocate categorizes it as a scotch ale/wee heavy, while ratebeer calls it a smoked beer, which is way off (it's only faintly smoky). Reviews aren't great at either site, with lots of category grumbling and claims that it tastes more like a lager. A bock, maybe.

It's golden rather than red with a quick-dying head. In the glass, it looks a bit like syrup slowly coming to a simmer, with just a few bubbles ascending. I like low carbonation, so I think the fairly hefty body and restrained fizz is just right. It's big malt, for sure. Rich, sweet-tasting, slightly of honey, it has very faint whiskey smokiness as well. Hops are present, but not enough to change the general tone of it. The 7.3% alcohol is noticeable.

Overall, like a lot more than others seem to, although I can't defend it's price (more than a penny a milliliter). I think it helps if you keep an open mind about the style.

1 comment:

Andy Holmes said...

That reminds me I've got a bottle of the same beer in my collection, must try it!