07 October 2007

Samuel Adams Octoberfest (MA)

We still haven't seen fall weather yet, but all I have in my refrigerator are autumn seasonals or heavier brews. Sam Adams Octoberfest seems to have a pretty good reputation. But would this prove to be merely an ordinary, "accessible" festbier?

Well, maybe a little. It looks nice, crystal clear amber with plenty of bubbles bouncing around. The body is medium with lively carbonation. I think the flavor is pretty well-balanced between caramel maltiness and some hops to cut the sweetness. It's flavorful, but there's a slightly metallic aspect to it. So this is a good Oktoberfest, but nothing that bowled me over.

Of the five autumn seasonals I've reviewed here so far, I'd still rank Victory Festbier at the top.

2 comments:

the said...

This year's SA Oct was superb to me. Last year's was the metal that you speak of. I'm starting to think that it's a lot more subjective to ever-changing tastes, atmosphere, mindset and whatever woman is wooing or wrecking our lives at the moment of the beer reception!

Buttle said...

I don't think they bottle date this, but SA sells enough that I don't think my local store would have one that was a year old (German imports, on the other hand, I have to be careful of). I'd love to compare last year's to this side-by-side to see the differences.