04 October 2008

He'brew Origin Pomegranate Ale (NY)

Do a search at ratebeer and you'll find only a handful of pomegranate beers, and just four with at least 100 ratings. Most fruit beers use a wheat beer base, but this is an "imperial amber ale" with pomegranate juice added. Why pomegranate? It fits in with the brewery's Old Testament theme ("In some parts of the world, it's believed that Eve tempted Adam with a pomegranate," says the website).

This pours a very hazy copper/amber color with only a thin head, although the foam that's there lasted for me. Medium bodied, tight fizz. It has a pretty solid malt backbone. The pomegranate is added with a light touch. Fruit juice comes through, but I wouldn't necessarily have guessed the source if I didn't know (cherries? berries?). Any fruitiness is out manned by the hops, however: definite West Coast accent, with citrus/pine and a somewhat bitter grapefruit aftertaste. The alcohol -- 8% -- isn't obvious.

I'm not sure if it meshes completely, the hops and the pomegranate, but Origin is still a tasty beer from a brewery that has tried to do something different.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Thanks so much for the Origin shoutout. Glad you enjoyed it. We certainly weren't trying to make your run-of-the-mill fruit beer. This is definitely a big beer, not to be overpowered by the subtle flavor of pomegranate. L'Chaim!

The Foaming Head said...

Hey, you are now linked up on our Beer Blog! http://domesticcraftbeer.blogspot.com/ Please feel free to check out our official site www.thefoaminghead.com . You should like to focus on NY

Buttle said...

Appreciate both comments. Nice sites, foaming head. "The American Committee of Beer Bloggers would revoke my beer blog if I did not, I figured it was best to throw something up." LOL, and I just posted my requisite review.

Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!
Also visit my blog ; get rid of pimple scars

Anonymous said...

70py89xcy

my blog electric toothbrushes